Currently the most famous accordion ensemble in the world, founded in 1996 by Janusz Wojtarowicz - leader and author of most of the compositions. They are a phenomenon on the European and global music market. Janusz Wojtarowicz, Paweł Baranek and Marcin Gałażyn are world class accordionists. Using all the advantages of the accordion in their creations, they continually explore the new possibilities of this instrument, changing the way that it is perceived. The music style, which they present in their creation is the widely understood "crossover" containing elements of jazz, world music, rock, classical and even contemporary music. Their concerts are musical performances that contain action and drama.
They have won many prestigious awards, including:
- Grand Prix at the IV Krzysztof Penderecki International Contemporary Chamber Music Competition in the year 2000
- Deutsche Shallplatten Kritik
- Grand Prix at the Polish Music Industry (“Pictures from the Street”)
- Best Polish Recording 2000
- Best Debut in the year 2000 in Poland (Jazzi Magazine)
- “Gus Viseur” in the category “Musical Discovery of the Year” in France (2005)
- The Best album (Classical Music), HI-FI & Music
- "Cobalt Muse" – Award of the Foundation "Different Tones" (2009)
- Best Album of the Year in the category "Classical Music" by. HI-FI AND MUSIC - magazine of audiophile and music lover "CHOPIN" (2010)
- "Honoris Gratia" musicians were honored by the Mayor of the City of Krakow in recognition for contribution to Krakow and its inhabitants (2011)
- "Mateusze 2013" - Music Award of the Polish Radio Channel 3 for the Motion Trio and L.U.C - masterful combination of two musical worlds, which resulted in two albums, "NOTHING HAPPENED" and "CITY OF HARMONY"
- "Best Film Music" 2016 - 41 Film Festival in Gdynia for Janusz Wojtarowicz and Motion Trio (Janusz Wojtarowicz, Paweł Baranek, Marcin Gałażyn) for the music for the film "Szczęście Świata" dir. Michał Rosa
About the music of Motion Trio:
Joe Zawinul : "Your music is amazing"
Krzysztof Penderecki : "They are an exceptional accordion trio"
Wanda Wiłkomirska : "I have never heard such a well-tuned band before."
FRANKFURTER ALLGEMEINE ZEITUNG : “Trio plays masterfully with suggestive sounds (...)”
LIBERATION : “Those who thought that the accordion was old-fashioned and who were present at the Motion Trio concert had no alternative but to reconsider their earlier judgment (...)”
LE MONDE : “The Polish accordion trio ridicules all the habits and traditional ways to play the accordion; they bring the instrument into the future without any electronic effects (...)”
ALL ABOUT JAZZ : “You have never heard such accordion playing (...)"
MOTION TRIO works with:
- "Ciaccona" from Polish Requiem (the version for three accordions)-world premiere in New York, Carnegie Hall in 2008 ,
- Oratorio "Seven gates of Jerusalem" part III "De profundis" (version for three accordions) - world premiere "Skirball Center" in Los Angeles 2007 .
Henryk Mikołaj Górecki
- "Three Works in the Old Style" (version for three accordions) - world premiere in New York, Carnegie Hall in 2008.
- "Concerto for harpsichord (or piano) and string orchestra op. 40" (version for piano and three accordions). The premiere of the composer's 80th birthday, Warsaw Philharmonic in 2013 (Leszek Możdżer and Motion Trio)
- "Orawa" (in the version for three accordions) - world premiere in New York Carnegie Hall in 2008.
- "Arbor vitae II" for a soprano, an accordion trio and a symphonic orchestra 2018
Jan A.P. Kaczmarek
- "Koncert Jankiela" (version for three accordions and orchestra)- premiere on International Film and Music Festival "Transatlantic" (Poznań - Poland 2012)
- MGV "Musique a Grand Vitesse" (for three accordions) with Michael Nyman Band - world premiere "Barbican Centre" in London 2009.
- "Kino" (for three accordions) with Michael Nyman Band - world premiere The Polish Baltic Frédéric Chopin Philharmonic 2010
- "Toccata Barbaro" (for three accordions) 2014 - world premiere - International Festival of Cracow Composers 2015
Bobby McFerrin, Leszek Możdżer, Krzesimir Dębski, Małgorzata Walewska, Triloki Gurtu, Michał Urbaniak, Tomasz Stańko, Zohar Fresco, Mariusz Patyra, Piotr Orzechowski (Pianohooligan), Atom String Quartete, Marta Ptaszyńska, Zbigniew Bargielski, Marcel Chyrzyński, Maciej Zieliński, Łukasz Targosz, L.U.C, Józef Skrzeki, Anna Maria Jopek, Kuba Badach, Zbigniew Wodecki, KROKE, ANAWA, Marcin Wyrostek, Lidia Jazgar, Joanna Kulig, Ania Rusowicz, The ThreeX, Intars Busulis, Sylvester Mateev, Aram Rustamyants
Orkiestra Filharmonii Narodowej w Warszawie, WDR Rundfunkorchester Köln, Deutsches Filmorchester Babelsberg, Sinfonietta Riga, Sinfonietta Cracovia, Rio de Janeiro Orquestra do Teatro Municipal, Orkiestra Filharmonii Łódzkiej, Orkiestra Polskiej Filharmonii Bałtyckiej, Orkiestra Filharmonii Pomorskiej, Orkiestra Filharmoników Szczecińskich, Orkiestra Filharmonii Warmińsko-Mazurskiej, Orkiestra Kameralną "AUKSO", Elbląska Orkiestra Kameralna, Orkiestra L’Autunno, Przemyska Orkiestra Kameralna, Hanseatica Chamber Orchestrą (Gdańsk), Ensemble "KONTRASTE" (Nürnberg), Neue Lausitzer Philharmonie
Jerzy Maksymiuk, Marek Moś, Radosław Labahua, Piotr Sułkowski, Krzesimir Dębski, Mirosław Jackiem Błaszczyk, Ewa Strusińska, Szymonem Bywalec, Tomasz Chmiel, Maciej Koczur, Adam Banaszak, Scott Lawtonon, Ernst van Tielem, Normund Sne, Massimiliano Caldi, Jérôme Pillement
and with Anna Dymna, Krzysztof Orzechowski - "The Salon of Poetry", Andrzej Seweryn - "Mounsieur Pichon" - based on the text by Salome Broussky (Premiere: October 19th 2010 in the Comedie Francaise in Paris, music by F. Chopin and the Motion Trio), Piotr Cieplak - "The Italian Straw Hat" - music by Janusz Wojtarowicz, performed by the MT, Jerzy Grałek - "Jesienin" - music by the Motion Trio, Jerzy Skolimowski – the MT starred in the "Essential Killing" (award winner at the film festivals in Venice, Mar Del Plata and Gdynia), Jacek Sroka - concert project "Sroka in Motion" combines music of MT and painting of Jacek Sroka.
The band granted permission for the use of their pieces of music in such films as: One Hour Summer (USA 2008), Laura (POLAND 2010), Życie (POLAND 2002), as well as in many other historical and feature films all over the world.
The band made various recordings for the following TV stations: Arte, ZDF, WDR, France 3, Mezzo, TVP, TVP Kultura, as well as for several radio stations.
The band has performed on six continents and in forty two countries: Austria, Belgium, Belarus, Brazil, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, China, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Great Britain, Greece, Spain, Holland, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Canada, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Germany, Kazachstan, Moldova, New Caledonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Corea, Switzerland, Sweden, Taiwan, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Hungary and Italy.
MOTION TRIO has recorded thirteen albums:
- "CRY" (1998)
- "PICTURES FROM THE STREET" (2000, 2003 Reedition)
(Best Polish Recording 2000)
(Grand Prix at the Polish Music Industry)
(Best Debut year 2000 in Poland - Jazzi Magazine)
(Deutsche Shallplatten Kritik)
("Gus Viseur","Musical Discovery of the Year" in France,2005)
- "PLAY-STATION" (2002, 2009 Reedition)
- "LIVE IN VIENNA Sacrum & Profanum" (2004)
- "METROPOLIS" (2007)
- "MICHAEL NYMAN & MOTION TRIO" (2009)
- "CHOPIN" Live at La Folle Journee (2010)
(The Best Album in category Classical Music , HI-FI & Music)
- "BRAHMS AND LISZT AND..." Live at La Folle Journee (2011)
- "MUSSORGSKY. PROKOFIEV. SHOSTAKOVICH. KHACHATURIAN" (2012)
- "NIC SIĘ NIE STAŁO" (2013)L.U.C & MOTION TRIO
(MATEUSZ TRÓJKI) - Award of the POLISH RADIO III
(HIT OF 2013)"ILUZJI ŁĄKA" by radio TOK FM audience vote
- "CITY OF HARMONY" (2013) MOTION TRIO & L.U.C
(MATEUSZ TRÓJKI)- Award of the POLISH RADIO III
(HIT OF 2013)"ILUZJI ŁĄKA" by radio TOK FM audience vote
- "POLONIUM" (2013)- WARNER CLASSICS, Parlophone Music Polska
- "ACCORDION STORIES" (2018)
The band records for its own record company
MOTION TRIO has participated in many festivals and music events:
- Red Sea Jazz Festival (Israel)
- UN VIOLON SUR LE SABLE FESTIVAL - Royan (France)
- Oxford Contemporary Music (England)
- Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival (Hamburg) Germany
- Elbphilharmonie Concerts (Hamburg) Germany
- Fest Der Kontinente (Berlin) Germany
- La Folle Journee (Nantes, Tokyo, Warsaw)
- Festival d’Ile de France (Paris) France
- Musiques Metisses (Angouleme) France
- Reykjavik Arts Festival (Iceland)
- Montreal Jazz Fest (Canada)
- Quebec City Summer Festival (Canada)
- Solidarity of Arts (Gdańsk) Poland
- Open’er Festival (Gdynia) Poland
- T-Mobile Nowe Horyzonty (Wrocław) Poland
- International Film And Music Festival "Transatlantyk" (Poznań) Poland
- Musical Gardens (Warsaw) Poland
- Stresa Festival (Stresa e del Lago Maggiore) Italy
- Lowlands Festival (Leuvaarden) Netherlands
- Gaudeamus Festival (Amsterdam) Netherlands
- Migration Music Festival (Taipei) Taiwan
- Paleo Festival in (Nyon) Switzerland
- Alternativa Festival (Moscow) Russia
- FESTIVAL ACCORDION PLUS - (Rostov on Don) Russia
- Krzysztof Komeda Film Music Festival (Warszawa) Poland
and many others ...
MOTION TRIO plays on Pigini Sirius Millennium accordions - considered the best accordions in the world.
Motion on Motion
"we are as passionate about heavy metal as we are about jazz or contemporary music"
"we feel just as good playing on the street as we do in a concert hall"
"it is our belief that music will do just fine without the Motion Trio; we, without music, on the other hand..."
Krzysztof Penderecki :
I have had an opportunity to listen to Motion Trio several times, both in Poland and abroad. This is exceptional accordion trio. The group led by Janusz Wojtarowicz, who is also the compozer of pieces by the trio plays also jazz, and promotes modern music. The activity of the group is worth supporting, not only becouse of its exceptional character, but also due to the high artistic lavel of its musicians.
Michael Nyman :
Me and my group are impressed by the power of their music. Their tones are the very component that was missing in our work. Our cooperation with Motion Trio has been one of the most exciting projects I've ever taken part in
Joe Zawinul :
" Your music is amazing!! "
Tomasz Stańko :
(...) Those people play really well.I could have never got into it myself. The colour they create is unusual ! Besides, they do care about it, they know what matters, they are aware of their own sound, their own value,they have something in themselves that I like very much, and what they call being "street".They tell us about themselves that they are street musicians,that it,they have a great deal of dirt,but also knowledge,charisma,and passion;they own all the values that I appreciate so much...